THE SPORTSWRITERS: Chris Rose of the New Orleans "Times-Picayune" (perhaps the greatest newspaper name in history) talks about the boneheads who showed up for Super Bowl "Media Day" Tuesday (link via Romenesko). That got me thinking about something I saw on one of those NFL Films "Super Highlights From The Super Bowl" thingees on ESPN late one night. It was one of those crazy guys from the old Raiders (Matuzak, Long, Hendricks, I can't remember which) talking about the media at the Super Bowl. I can't remember it verbatim, but it went something like this:
"You guys show up here a week before the game, come to Media Day, eat all the free food, drink all the free beer, and don't ask a single serious question. You come to the practices, eat all the free food, drink all the free beer, and don't ask a single serious question. Then on the day of the game, you sit in the press box, eat all the free food, drink all the free beer, and when the game's over, you come up to us and say, 'What happened out there today?' "
(Full disclosure: I was a former sports guy, but I never covered anything bigger than a Division I college football game.)