VIEWER MAIL: Reader Bill Kirtley e-mailed me an amusing little tidbit from a recent "Chicago Tribune":
Amusing juxtaposition of articles in Sunday's Chicago Tribune. Health & Family section, front page: "Call it a Day, America/Some think it's time we quit working so hard and start playing a little more" Special to the Tribune by Lee Scheler (3 Columns including 8-1/2" x 12" illustration... about 11 inches copy plus jump) and "Too much time off? Then prod your teen into a summer job" Special to the Tribune by Kimberlee Roth (12 inches -- including head -- plus jump)
Guess those wretched teenagers aren't among those "working too hard."
Juxtaposition can be a big issue for newspapers, especially when it comes to advertisements. For example, most papers have a policy to remove airline ads from the paper when there's a plane crash with loss of life. (I can't imagine what papers were doing on Sept. 11. And I can't tell you what ours did because, amazingly, I was on vacation the week of the terrorism attacks.) There are other juxtaposition concerns with, say, liquor or beer ads and stories about alcoholism or drunken driving.