GLASTRIS GETS REBUTTED TWICE: I was expecting this. First, Tim Graham gives a solid rebuttal to last week's column by "Washington Monthly" editor Tim Glastris about liberal media bias. And then Jonah Goldberg adds his own witty and spot-on commentary:
The reason Right-wing pundits are drawn from the ranks of the conservative opinion press while Left-wing pundits are drawn from elite newsrooms is that there are virtually no conservatives to be found in elite newsrooms...Meanwhile, looking at the last ten years I can think of only one major non-liberal pundit to rise through the ranks of mainstream newsrooms, the irreplaceable Michael Kelly. Indeed, with the exception of Bob Novak, I can't think of a single big-league conservative pundit who didn't get where he is without going through the conservative press or some other nonconventional route.
And then this:
Conservatism is on the offensive ideologically, not because we have less intellectual integrity than the Joe Conasons or Robert Scheers of the world (I mean, come on!), but because we are on the offensive. Period. Conservatives of all stripes — neocons, paleocons, libertarians, even the McCainiacs — want to change some, most or all of the fundamental assumptions of the culture and the politics it produces.