Saturday, March 30, 2002

A QUIET DAY TODAY: Not much going on here. The Amazing Techie Girlfriend and I are going out and about. Looks like a nice day outside.

Anyway, I did want to respond to a question raised by the post below about college enrollment being affected by the Enron crisis. A reader said that enrollment may be affected by the number of people who were thrown out of work and can no longer afford to send their kids to college. That's certainly possible, and I'm sure Enron's collapse did put college out of reach for a lot of families. That's a tragedy. However, this article never made that point. It made it sound like the city of Houston had suddenly become toxic because of the failing of one energy company. That's silly. And it's doubtful that a significant number of Enron employees in the Houston area would be sending their children to Houston-area colleges anyway. The vast majority of college students want to go to school away from their home towns - often as far away as possible.

Anyway, have a nice weekend.