Wednesday, January 08, 2003

WORKPLACE LIBERALS: Here's a nice piece in the American Prowler that echoes how I get through my workdays in an overwhelmingly liberal newsroom. The writer isn't a reporter, but I've lifted the pertinent quotes:

Where I work, they all think I'm a liberal like them, but not because of anything I've said or done. Rather, they think so because of what I haven't said or done. Namely, I haven't said: "I'm not a liberal." In not saying this, I have enabled their illusions to survive....

My reluctance to tell my peers that I am, in fact, a very bad person has to do with several factors. First and foremost, I am at work, and I don't seek or appreciate the intrusion of global politics into my job -- there is enough of the office variety as it is. I see no reason why the most divisive issues of the day need to be debated in an environment where people are ostensibly being compensated to think about other things. Given the political affinities of my colleagues, I also recognize the wisdom of silence. It might be a bit of a stretch to think that being conservative in an office full of liberals could get you fired, but given the state of the economy in New York, one hesitates to find out.

Fortunately, my current position requires little forbearance on my part. People are very polite and professional, and there are no fire-breathers. Politics is in the background and one finds it easy to agree with general sentiments -- anger at corporate scandals, anxiety about terrorism, and the like. And I don't have the energy to get into debates when the few occasions have presented themselves, because there is too much real work to do. This is one of the blessings of my current work situation: people are usually too damn busy to debate Trent Lott, taxes, or hitting Saddam.



Anyone else have similar experiences? Leave a comment if you like.